Carn Brea stands some 750
feet above sea level overlooking the towns of Camborne and Redruth.
The castle itself is built on a granite outcrop and looks down upon Carn Brea village and the church of St. Uny. A castle was
recorded on the site as early as 1478 and the nearby monument visible for many
miles around was erected in 1837 in honour of Lord De
Dunstanville. Excavations have revealed that Carn Brea has been of great importance since Neolithic
times with quantities of leaf-shaped arrow heads, axes and knives suggesting it
was once an important trading centre. The Carn was
extensively fortified and remains of Iron Age ramparts are still quite visible;
many of the numerous entrances are intact. Legend tells of a giant named
Bolster who would cross to the distant St. Agnes Beacon with a single stride
and indeed an ancient well known as the giants well can be seen on the north
side of the Carn.