.Now surrounded by an 18-hole golf course, this small church was once almost entirely engulfed in sand - the vicar of the parish having to climb down through a hole in the roof once a year to celebrate eucharist in order that the right to tithes may continue.  In 1863, careful excavation work was carried out and the little medieval church with its broach spire was restored and returned to its former glory. The planting of marram grass on the nearby dunes has served to keep the encroaching sand at bay and today regular services are held here albeit by candle and lamplight as the church still has no electricity. The locality was a favourite haunt of Sir John Betjeman, the poet laureate, who died in 1984 and was buried here in the churchyard according to his wish.