Arguably Cornwalls most imposing landmark, the Mount is now the home of the St. Aubyn family although part of the castle is open to the public at certain times of the year. A cobbled causeway linking the Mount with the mainland is exposed at low water. Legend tells how the Mount was built by the one-eyed giant Cormoran whose wife was accidentally killed by a cobbling hammer thrown by the giant of Trencrom. In medieval times a Benedictine Priory was established here and dedicated to St. Michael who reputedly visited the Mount in the 5th. century. It was the scene of much fighting in the Cornish Revolt of 1549 and was defended by Sir Arthur Basset against the Roundheads a century later. There is evidence to suggest that the Mount is in fact Ictis; a trading post where tin streamed locally was bartered for wine, skins and other goods with Mediterranean traders in Pre-Christian times