MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Location: file:///C:/D683D48C/trurocathedral.htm Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii" Truro Cathedral

.        =             &nb= sp;   This magnificent building is Britains most westerly Cathedra= l and with the exception of St.Pauls in London, the first Cathedral to be built in England since the Reformation= . It was designed by the architect J.L.Pearson and b= uilt of honey-coloured Bath stone on the site of the former sixteenth century Parish Church of St. Mary; the South aisle of which being retained to form an aisle of the Cathedral. Work began on the building in 1= 880, the foundation stone being laid by the then  Prince of Wales - later King Edwar= d VII - and the building consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury seven years later.  Work on the Cathedral = was finished with the completion of the two west towers in 1909. Of particular interest is the Alabaster and Marble memorial to the R= obartes family and the George Tinworth Terracotta Panel depicting the Way of the Cross.

=